Thursday, August 23, 2007

Salsa anyone?

Lessons learned from making salsa today:

  1. Italian flat leaf parsley does not make a good substitute for cilantro. Albertson's didn't have any, so what's a girl supposed to do at 7:00 PM after a day of work?
  2. Don't overload your food processor. You will wind up with mushy components instead of chopped ones.
  3. Don't skimp on the peppers. I thought that four from my garden would be enough, but it needs a bit more kick.

I'm sure I will have another opportunity to perfect the recipe since my I have only harvested less than half of the tomatoes on my plant so far.

Life is still pretty hectic around here. Our days off are filled with errands, phone calls and trying to do some of the work needed to get the house we are purchasing ready for new renters. This weekend is going to be fun though. Tomorrow night, our home group is going to a play together that one of their kids is in. It's Peter Pan and she plays Wendy. Then on Saturday, we are going to some friends' house for the afternoon.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Oh dear. Some days are just not good days in the kitchen, are they. I hope you have a fun weekend!

Martha said...

Salsa sounds wonderful! Yesterday Bethany made green chile stew and invited us over to dinner. Mmmmmm! About those peppers, maybe you need a few from my garden. WOW! Are they ever hot!

Tracy said...

I've never heard of green chile stew. What's it like?

judi/Gmj said...

I love salsa!! Try adding a touch of chipolte pepper sauce or powder and I mean just a touch! Not as brite a taste but tastes like the kind you get a a good Mexican joint.

Rachel said...

I love salsa, although I've never tried to make it. My friend, Loretta, uses green and red tomatoes when she makes salsa.

Martha said...

Green chile stew is another regional food, the region being New Mexico. It is made with roasted green chiles, potato, pork (or chicken), and various Mexican spices. We like to add a can of white hominy. My Canadian/ American/ New Mexican husband loves this spicy dish and he has passed that on to the rest of us. You can find a decent recipe by looking online.

Priscilla said...

yum!

judi/Gmj said...

Tracy, you can get cilantro that is dried. It is in the spice section. :O)

kristina said...

I love to make salsa.
How was Peter Pan?