Monday, June 19, 2006

Health news

I have been fighting a cold since late last week. I am a believer in zinc lozenges and vitamin C for warding off an impending cold. I'm pretty sure that I have been successful at least twice when I started taking them at the first sign of symptoms. But it didn't work this time...

Denis is not a believer in my cold prevention strategy. He does believe that zinc can shorten the duration of a cold by 1 day (it was shown in scientific studies). But he doesn't buy into the Vitamin C. I read that a study showed that people who took 1000 mg of Vit. C daily lost less days of work. So I imagine that it at least makes you feel better. Anyway, I missed church because I began coughing that day. I felt pretty well until this evening.

The good news is that my Physical Therapist is onto something new for treating my TMJ. The original theory was that there was swelling in the joint on one side causing my jaw to shift to the other side. However, the treatments for that theory didn't improve my bite at all. The new theory is that the disc in the joint on the other side has slipped causing it to pull that way. So I have new exercises to do each day and it seems to be helping a bit. More of my teeth are now connecting which is very hopeful. This has been really frustrating as no one has really had any idea why my bite has changed. It will be really wonderful if these exercises can make everything go back to normal.

No comments: