Friday, June 16, 2006

A Day in the Life

I woke up to my alarm this morning at 6:30. Too sleepy. Memo to self: make yourself go to bed at 10:00 each night you work - you always regret staying up later. Denis is still sleeping, so I turn on the fan in the bathroom to cover up the sounds as I shower, spray, comb, blowdry, etc. When I leave the bathroom, I leave the light on so that I have a little light for moving around the bedroom. When I go in the closet, I have to quietly shut the door before I turn on the light to search for something clean and wrinkle-free to wear.

Finally dressed and ready to go! Oops! I have two left shoes and one is black and the other brown. I have to sneak back in and go through the closet ritual again to recover a matching shoe. Off for breakfast! First stop is McDonalds for a Sausage McMuffin with Egg. I know they are bad for me, but I'm addicted and they last me all morning without getting hungry. Second stop is Starbucks where the gals know my name and my drink of choice (grande, non-fat, sugar-free hazelnut latte). I eat the mcmuffin in the car and then head to work.

At work, I find out that our secretary is sick today, so I will have to greet my students and get all the paperwork done myself. I'm not sure I'm up for it. I am teaching a Diabetes class today for newly diagnosed patients. I have 5 people scheduled, but only 4 come. There is a frenzy of activity as I take each one back for a brief one-on-one session before the class, gather their paperwork, copy the insurance cards, etc.

Ahhh, class is started. This is the part that I really enjoy. I was tired when i started the day, but I'm not anymore. The group is great, they talk with each other, ask good questions and catch on pretty quickly. The challenging part is always when it comes time to teach the group how to use a glucose meter to test their blood sugar. But we got through it. Everyone seems happy with the class.

Now it's time to chart. My brain gets a little fuzzy again. I have to remember who was who and what each of their stories was. I have a system that I have developed that helps me remember so I can slog through it. I also have a phone call to return. That takes a while and then I check the phone messages and, Woohoo! I'm done. Driving home, I turn up the music. I'm listening to FFH's first album. A nice flashback and I remember why I liked this album.

I get home at 3:00 and discover that my cat has puked in the kitchen. Yesterday she puked in the living room. (no, she's not bulemic. She has kitty irritable bowel, which for some reason causes vomitting. And we ran out of her pills the other day.) Denis is in the shower. He woke up at 1. He works until 1AM or whenever he is done with all his patients. Then he unwinds and goes to bed about 3-4 AM, so it's not that he's lazy. Kiss kiss, he's off to work. We'll get to see each other over the weekend.

So now I am eating a bowl of ramen noodles. I have to go pick up the kitty pills soon. I will try to get motivated to clean my kitchen tonight and maybe go grocery shopping. Then I will veg in front of the TV. I've got to catch up on my Spanish soap opera!

5 comments:

Priscilla said...

Sounds like you had a very busy day. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

So are you a Doctor or a nurse or something? Do you teach at a hospital?

Tracy said...

I'm a nurse. I've been an RN for 16 years and until last year I worked most often on the night shift in various hospitals on the general medicine unit. (that's where all the sick people are that aren't so sick they have to go to ICU. they do not have a broken bone, or surgery or a heart attack or whatever. they are just sick.)
Anyway, about a year ago, I miraculously won a job as a Diabetes Educator which delivered me from the night shift and from being the charge nurse. It is such a blessing! I took a pay cut and loss of hours to have my dream job. I now work only 1/2 time - Wed., Thurs, and 1/2 day Fri.

My hubby's a Physician Assistant in the ER of the same hospital.

T said...

oh that I could have your day.....NOT. you are very funny... i enjoyed this post very much.

Tracy said...

I'm glad you liked it very much. that makes me happy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy! Denis said you would have a picture of the stone retaining wall that you put up! How did I miss it? Is fun looking and reading your blog. I don't get here very often though. Was a nice picture of Debbie and Jamie. Glad that you had a good time.
Frieda