Sunday, May 13, 2007

Shocked!

I made some granola last night. Denis loves the stuff - it's a sure way to impress him to make granola. So I found a website that lets you build a recipe and find out the nutritional content of it. I found out that one cup of my granola contains 750 calories, half of which is fat! Yikes! I added some raisins to the recipe and recalculated it. It improved it somewhat, but not much.

So I informed Denis of the danger of the delicious granola and suggested he be a bit sparse in his serving sizes... Next time, i think I'll try decreasing the coconut and oil. Maybe I'll try almonds instead of sesame seeds.

It is very yummy, though.

7 comments:

Martha said...

Why is it that all the good stuff has to be so fattening? Guess a granola diet won't help me lose the extra weight I've gained, huh? Better stick to carrot sticks. Oh pooh!

Rachel said...

I was just going to say what Martha said.

How about those yummy clementines Martha?!

Martha said...

Oh yeah, they were yummy too. God didn't forget the sweets when he planted the garden!

judi/Gmj said...

Do almonds have less fat than sesame seeds? So if you don't eat the ice cream then can you have more granola? Denis, I'm trying to help you here. Think, man think, find some justification for the granola! :o)

Tracy said...

I'm thinking that maybe the almonds would have healthier fat ratio. One of the things this nutrition site takes into account is the ratio of omega 6 : omega 3. Walnuts are probably better yet. I'm thinking the sesames and coconut are the mail culprits on the bad ratio. Another idea i have to replace the corn meal with non-fat milk powder. Maybe more protein, less carbs. I think I'm going to tweak it some more and see if it comes out any better. OH - another idea, replace raisins with dried berries, maybe lower cho, more antioxidants.

I mean, let's face it, granola is always going to be calorie dense, but I really was shocked that the fiber and canola oil didn't improve the profile...

Tracy said...

Sorry, CHO means carbohydrates. That's my diabetes education abbreviation coming out.

Priscilla said...

I love granola too! It's especially good on vanilla yogurt...which doesn't help matters any!