Monday, April 09, 2007

New Additions

Denis has been hard at work yet again putting in our latest picks for the garden. This is the rhododendron that we chose. It's called Minnetonka and it has lavender flowers with yellow throats. I picked it for the attractive foliage. I dislike rhodies with ugly leaves since the leaves are what you see all year.

















And here is the groundskeeper, hard at work.
















We also picked a hydrangea to go in the backyard. It is at the corner of our house where it has room to grow tall and wide.






The front yard plant of choice is nandina (common name: heavenly bamboo) . We got the gulf stream variety which is supposed to grow in a "mounded form" rather than tall and spindly like some of the ones we see around town.





































These two pictures give you an idea of the layout of the nandina row along the fence with our neighbor. Denis measured the spacing to be exact. (He's a stickler with that stuff) It looks really great!








It is always so exciting to plant new things. We wish we could fast forward time to see what it will all look like in a few years when they are more mature.

15 comments:

Kim said...

It looks like you have a very hard working husband. You yard looks beautiful. I see your phlox(?) is in bloom too, very pretty.

T said...

good golly miss molly........bamboo?
tell me you planted it in a pot.
please.

judi/Gmj said...

LOVELY! And the plantings are pretty to. LOL!! Love that Denis guy and his measuring. T, nandina is the plant that grows in front of our door.

Tracy said...

Yeah, "heavenly bamboo" is just a nickname because it sort of looks like bamboo but it is not. Hence, none of the major headaches of bamboo. My mom had the same reaction when she heard the name.

Tracy said...

Oh, and Kim you're right about the spelling of phlox. I made the same mistake last time I posted a pic of that. I fixed the caption in my slide show. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,
Glad to hear you are having good luck. With the freeze we had the last couple of days (yes I said freeze), we lost almost everying. Our 6 tomato plants, 5 rose bushes, numerous other annuals that we bought and had planted in our yard about 2 week earlier when we had upper 70 degree weather are gone. Bummer.
It will be warming up a bit this week, but not much. Still will be cold at night.
Have a great week. Tell your hard working husband hello for us.
And by hard working I also mean you too.. :-)
Brian

Nixter said...

Your goundskeeper looks very good. Can you come on Skype??? Did you see some of the flower pics I took?

Martha said...

Everything looks so beautiful! We're getting impatient here, but it will all happen in good time.

Priscilla said...

Your garden is just beautiful!!!

Rachel said...

I haven't been able to leave comments on your blog for some reason, but now I can! Every time I would try, some small box with a magnifying glass would appear and my letters would go into that box and then the computer would make a funny noise. ??? Some error message would appear sometimes.

Anyway, your plants look absolutely gorgeous! It looks like Denis is having a good time out there. I love the phlox! We tried to get some of that last year, but it was all gone, so we're hoping to get some soon.

kristina said...

Your garden is lovely. I can't wait until things start to turn green around here.

joeks said...

You're certainly ambitious! But you'll enjoy the results of your work for a long time. We had daffodils, tulips and fruit trees blooming, and the lilacs were just getting ready to.... then several days of freezing weather hit again. And now snow is predicted again in a couple of days. Maybe after that we'll be done with this year's coldness!

Priscilla said...

I wannt greeeeeeeeeennnnnn!!!!!!!!

Priscilla said...

Sorry for the temper tantrum. This brown, wet miserable weather is just getting to me!

kristina said...

me too.