Monday, August 14, 2006

Gems

I have been (slowly) reading through the NIV One Year Bible. Today some verses stood out to me that I had not really noticed before.

1 Cor. 4:3-4 - I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

I tend to care too much if I am judged by others rather than simply relying on God's good judgement of my life. I had always wondered about the line from Sara Groves' song "I can't even judge myself. Only the Lord can say, Well done." This seems to be the passage that she had in mind when she penned those lines. This passage reminds me of the Old Testament men of faith who did not know what God's provision of an eternal answer for sin would be, but had faith in God to provide it.

1 Cor. 4:20 - For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

How often do we get caught up in talk about the gospel, but don't implement the power of the gospel in our lives?

Ps. 30:9-10 - What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help.

Am I fulfilling my role as a praiser of God? Do I proclaim God's faithfulness? Not often enough.

No comments: