Sunday, February 17, 2008

Larry and Terry

What does seeing Terry Fator have to do with Larry Norman? That's what I was wondering when I saw Larry's CDs for sale in the foyer of the concert hall last night. If you don't know, Larry Norman is considered the "father of Christian rock". He recorded the bulk of his music in the 70's and influenced a lot of musicians over the years, both Christian and secular. I was introduced to his music by a friend in college. Larry has had serious health problems for years now (I remember hearing about his chronic illnesses about 15 years ago at a concert I attended.) Well, Larry now lives in Salem, Oregon and most of his income is dependent on continued sales of his albums which he re-releases with some new tracks from time to time.

It turns out that Terry Fator has met and become friends with Larry Norman. He donated all the proceeds from the concert last night to help with Larry's medical costs. In my wikipedia research I found out that Terry also performed at Larry's 60th birthday party. Anyway, that was just the icing on the cake of a great evening. The show was really great. Terry has about 6 different puppets all with their own personalities. He also did some singing on his own, most of it impersonations of other singers. He's really good and really funny. There were some great interactions with the puppets. It's really impossible to describe. I bought the DVD that he has available of his first Las Vegas performance as well as a couple of Larry Norman CDs.

Mom and I got home at 2 AM, so that wasn't bad at all.

4 comments:

kristina said...

I have seen Terry Fator on tv. He is very funny. I only have one Larry Norman cd it has Randy Stonehill on it too. They are all very talented. I didn't know Larry Norman was ill or that he lives in Oregon, but I have heard other musicians say they have learned a lot from him.

Martha said...

What a great show Terry Fator has. And from what I have seen in little clips, he has a lot of fun doing it.

judi/Gmj said...

Glad you had a great time! Thanks for sharing the info about Larry. Do you know whre Terry's DVDs available?
(Hi Denis :)

T said...

I had totally forgot about larry norman! thanks for the reminder!