Thursday, May 04, 2006

Movie Review - Trekkies 1 and 2

This is a two for one special review. Denis and I recently watched these two documentaries that go behind the scenes at several Star Trek conventions and interview the die-hard fans. I had seen the first one a few years ago and wanted Denis to see it too when I discovered that they had made a sequel. If you like funny, quirky movies about interesting people, then you will enjoy these. I have a fondness in my heart for Star Trek that dates back to college when a friend got me hooked on The Next Generation (TNG to those in the know). I never was able to get into Deep Space 9, but I did like Voyager. The latest Enterprise did not live up to the dynasty in my opinion. But suffice it to say that I am enough of a fan that I can relate a bit to the people portrayed in these movies.

Here are some of the people you will meet in Trekkies 1: the woman who wore her Star Fleet uniform to the Whitewater trial each day for jury duty, the very bright but geeky teenager who designed his own uniform for use in his own movie, the dentist who has decorated his office completely with Star Trek paraphernalia and makes his employees dress in uniforms, the young woman whose cat is named Bones and attends the conventions with her, and many, many more.

In Trekkies 2, we go to conventions around the world. Yes, there are fans all over, even in France where, apparently, you have to hide your fandom or face ridicule. The fans in the former Yugoslavia were touching when they described the hope that they have found in the ideals portrayed in Star Trek. We also get to revisit some of the extreme fans from Trekkies 1. Yes, the jury member is still wearing her uniform to work each day. The teenager who gained a measure of fame from his scenes in the first movie is now 21 and married.

All in all, both films are enjoyable to watch and I highly recommend them.

No comments: